MLH 2016 Biennial Exhibit Awards won by AAFG Members
- Susie Krage – Best in Show “I Love Detroit: Heidelberg Quilt”
- Sharon Weltner – Fiber Art 3rd Place “Detroit: Gateway to Utopia”
- Jennifer Stafford – Honorable Mention “Summer Sunflowers”
- Kathy Zasuwa – Honorable Mention “Ancient Graffiti: First Exhibition”
- Jill Ault – Honorable Mention “This Way”
- Millie Danielson – Honorable Mention “Ruach (Breath)”
AAFG Members Awarded at 2015 Michigan League of Handweavers Conference:
- Anne Percy Knott – Honorable Mention in Fiberart for Chromatikat
- Helen Welford – Honorable Mention in Fashion Garments for Swingtime Coat
- Jenny Schu – 3rd Place in Wearable Accessories for Gypsy Leaf Bracelet
- Giesla Bosch – Honorable Mention in Wearable Accessories for Sunset Shawl
- Jeanne Norman Sarna – Honorable Mention in Wearable Accessories for Coral Seas Necklace
June 2013: AAFG member Jenny Schu won a People’s Choice Honorable Mention for her work
Small Leaf Panel in Blue at Fiber 577 in Perrysburg, Ohio.
April 2013: AAFG member Pat Holly took home the Benartex Best Miniature Award at American Quilter’s Society Quilt Show in Paducah, Kentucky for her quilt
TINY TIGERS 2.
November 2012: AAFG member Pat Holly took 2nd place honors at the world’s largest quilt show: The Houston International Quilt Festival.
Imagining India won 2nd place in the Innovative Applique Quilts category, and
Tiny Tigers 2 won 2nd place in the Miniature Quilts category.
November 2011: Fiber art by AAFG members Jill Ault (
Koi Gathering and
Where We Moored the Boats), and Lois Bryant (
The Ground Beneath My Feet Diptych and
The Ground Beneath My Feet Triptych), became part of the permanent collection at the new Mott & Von Voigtlander Hospitals of the University of Michigan.
AAFG Members Shine Again at MLH 2013 conference
- Millie Danielson – Honorable Mention for “Pearly Plax”
- Anne Flora – Honorable Mention in the Fashion Show for “Mme Recamier Enters Her Salon Ensemble”
- Joyce LaVasseur – Complex Weavers Award and 2nd Place in Fiber Art for “Ooh La Latte”
- Madeline Navarro – Honorable Mention in Fashion Accessories Exhibit for “Little Fishies”
- Jenny Schu – Best of Show for Fiber Art and People’s Choice Award for Fiber Art for “She Can’t See the Forest Through the Trees”; 2nd Place Fashion Accessories Exhibit for “Bamboozled Bangle”; Judge’s Choice Award for “Chevron Bangle”
- Marla Smith – Judges Choice in Fashion Show for “Tunic”
- Helen Welford – 3rd Place in the Fashion Show for “Allison’s Honeymoon Gown”
- Ellen Willson – Honorable Mention in Fashion Show for “Rags to Wearable Vest”
AAFG Member Lois Bryant recently sold 5 Jacquard weavings to the University of Michigan Museum of Art for permanent display at the Mott Children’s Hospital (currently under construction) in Ann Arbor. Lois’ work is also featured in a number of upcoming 2011 shows. Check her website for details. www.loisbryantstudio.com
Marion Marzolf’s first historical novel was published by the Swedish American Historical Society of Chicago in the fall of 2010.
Shuttle in Her Hand is the story of Lisa Lindholm, a young weaver who leaves her family in Sweden and ventures alone in 1931 to the United States. Over the next three decades she builds a life as a naturalized American citizen and becomes an accomplished weaver and teacher of weaving. Her experiences range from Rättvik and Stockholm, Sweden, to an Appalachian mountain school, Chicago, Grand Rapids and the Leelanau Peninsula in Michigan. She navigates the challenges and changes in weaving in modern America to follow her dream.
Writing on the Wall won 1st place in the Enchanted: Yardage exhibit at the Handweaver’s Guild of America’s 2010 Convergence in Albuquerque. Three additional AAFG Members were also accepted in exhibits at Convergence: Anne Flora –
The Nymph Callisto in HGA’s Walk in Beauty: Fashion exhibit; Jennifer Stafford’s –
Garden Magic and Marion Marzolf’s –
Night Skyline had work in HGA’s Eye Dazzlers: All Fiber Techniques exhibit.
Bonnie Kay and Anne Flora have work in
1000 Artisan Textiles by Sandra Salamony and Gina Brown. Publisher: Quarry Books (April 1, 2010). This stunning gallery–style volume includes some of the finest examples of contemporary textiles and fiber art being made today. The collection includes wearable art and couture, fashion accessories, soft furnishings and vessels, tapestries, display art, and quilts. Full–color photography features both full views as well as close–ups.